West Bromwich-born comedian Masai Graham wins the best joke at the Edinburgh Fringe.
His pasta pun comedy has been named the funniest joke of the Edinburgh Fringe Festival.
He won with: “I tried to steal spaghetti from the shop, but the female guard saw me and I couldn’t get pasta”.
The standup comedian’s Funniest Joke of the Fringe accolade is voted for by members of the public. The competition was last time organized in 2019 before the pandemic when a gag about vegetables took the title.
“It’s great to see the Edinburgh Fringe Festival back up and running again, it’s my spiritual home”, the West Bromwich-born comedian said about his second win at the festival.
The comedian won the trophy in 2016 with his joke: “My dad suggested I register for a donor card – he’s a man after my own heart.”
“I was so delighted to find out I’d won the Dave’s Funniest Joke of the Fringe award for a second time – I thought: This is getting pasta joke.”
To create a list of jokes which was voted on by 2,000 members of the public who were not told the names of the comedians in the running, comedy critics attended hundreds of shows across the Edinburgh Festival.
Dave’s channel director was pleased to be back in Edinburgh, Cherie Cunningham said that it is Dave’s first Joke of the Fringe in three years and the quality of submissions has been incredibly strong.
Now in its 13th year, here are the fantastic top 10 full of newcomers and comedy veterans at this year’s Edinburgh Fringe.
Best of the rest:
Ten jokes made 2022 shortlist:
2. “Did you know, if you get pregnant in the Amazon, it’s next-day delivery” – Mark Simmons
3. “My attempts to combine nitrous oxide and Oxo cubes made me a laughing stock” – Olaf Falafel
4. “By my age, my parents had a house and a family, and to be fair to me, so do I – but it is the same house and it is the same family” – Hannah Fairweather
5. “I hate funerals – I’m not a mourning person” – Will Mars
6. “I spent the whole morning building a time machine, so that’s four hours of my life that I’m getting back” – Olaf Falafel
8. “I used to live hand to mouth. Do you know what changed my life? Cutlery” – Tim Vine
9. “Don’t knock threesomes. Having a threesome is like hiring an intern to do all the jobs you hate” – Sophie Duker
10. “I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days” – Will Duggan